Into the Desert
Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of our 40-day Lenten journey. Lent is a season of reflection, prayer, repentance, and sacrifice – a time to prepare our hearts and minds to walk beside Jesus into the barren desert and, ultimately, into Jerusalem to experience His passion and death.
This Lent, I invite all Our Lady of the Wayside parishioners to prepare your hearts to receive Jesus’ abundant love and limitless mercy. I encourage you to make a strong Lenten commitment to participate in the many spiritual growth opportunities we will be offering, including Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament, Stations of the Cross (with soup beforehand), praying the Rosary, receiving the Holy Eucharist and Sacrament of Reconciliation, and by attending the Multi-parish Mission and the Eucharistic Miracles Exhibit.
I would also like to call your attention to five changes we are making for Lent this year.
- Stations of the Cross will be led by lay people representing OLW ministries, including CFM, the (TMIY) Men’s Group, the Women of Wayside and the Knights of Columbus.
- The Rosary – lead by the Knights of Columbus – will be recited at 11 am on Sundays, immediately preceding the 11:30 am Mass.
- As part of the National Eucharistic Revival, 40 Hours of Adoration will begin on Wednesday, February 14, at 8 pm. Adoration will also be offered each Saturday of Lent at 4 pm, immediately preceding the 5 pm Vigil Mass.
- Following Communion at all Masses, we will observe a Period of “Sacred Silence” to provide parishioners with silent time for prayer and reflection.
- Deacon Jerry Brennan will share Lenten Reflections, in place of my regular column, in our Sunday Bulletins.
Let us remember that the joy of Christ’s resurrection experienced on Easter Sunday is amplified by how closely we walked with Jesus on His Lenten journey. I encourage you, my brothers and sisters, to walk closely with Jesus into the desert these 40 days of Lent, to prepare your hearts and minds so that you may fully rejoice in His glorious Resurrection this Easter.
Yours in Christ,
For the schedule of Lenten events at Our Lady of the Wayside, click HERE.
Readings for the Sixth Sunday in Ordinary Time: Lectionary 77Tags: #fatherarthurmarat, #lent, #lent2024, #olw, #olwparish, #ourladyofthewayside, #prayer, #reflection