“As pastors of the Catholic Church in the United States, we state as clearly and strongly as we can that violence, inside or outside the home, is never justified.”
– US Conference of Catholic Bishops
YOU ARE NOT ALONE; HELP IS AVAILABLE!
Click one of the links below:
- How to Get Help
- More Information on Domestic Abuse
- About Our Ministry
- Catholic Preaching on Domestic Violence
HOW TO GET HELP*
IN AN EMERGENCY – DIAL 911!
- Illinois Domestic Violence 24-Hour Hotline – Information & referrals. 877-863-6338
- Parish Nurse Kathy O’Neill – Referrals to counseling, spiritual guidance, assistance. 847-253-5353 x 238 or email ParishNurse@olwparish.org
- WINGS 24-Hour Hotline — Emergency shelter, counseling, information. 847-221-5680
- Love Is Respect National Teen Dating Violence Helpline – For Teens. 866-331-9474
- Archdiocese of Chicago Domestic Violence Outreach – Information and excellent resources.
- Northwest Community Hospital/WINGS 847-618-3208
- Elder Abuse Hotline 866-800-1409
- Child Abuse Hotline 800-252-2873
- Between Friends 24-hour helpline 800-603-4357
- Arlington Heights Police/ Victim Services Coordinator 847-368-5300
- Tech Safety for Victims and Survivors of Domestic Violence 844-763-4168
*All contacts are completely confidential.
More Information on Domestic Abuse
- What Is Domestic Abuse?
- How Can I Help a Friend or Family Member?
- The Cycle of Abuse
- When I Call for Help: A Pastoral Response to Domestic Violence by the U.S. Catholic Bishops
- Domestic Abuse Ministry Suggested Reading/Video List
The Our Lady of the Wayside Domestic Abuse Ministry was formed in 2014 in coordination with the Archdiocese of Chicago’s Domestic Violence Outreach, led by Fr. Chuck Dahm, O.P. Our mission is:
- To raise awareness of domestic abuse through parish outreach and communications,
- To offer support to those affected by domestic abuse by providing referrals to professional resources and spiritual guidance,
- To promote healthy relationships and prevention of domestic abuse by educating our community.
Catholic Preaching on Domestic Violence
At a very special Mass celebrated by Cardinal Blase Cupich at Holy Name Cathedral, the Cardinal preached to end domestic violence. Click here to see the video of this homily.
Father Chuck Dahm, O.P., Director of Domestic Violence Outreach for the Archdiocese of Chicago, preaches on how Catholics can reach out to victims of domestic violence. Click here to see the video of this homily.
Deacon Tom Corcoran and Deacon Mike Madison have preached on domestic abuse at weekend Masses, building awareness of domestic violence in our community and suggesting ways that we can help. Click below for copies of their homilies:
- Click here for Deacon Corcoran’s homily
- Click here for Deacon Madison’s homily
- Click here for Archdiocese of Chicago Domestic Violence Outreach
YOU ARE NOT ALONE; HELP IS AVAILABLE.