Soup & Stations: Creamy Tomato Orzo Soup
Our soup recipe this week comes from the kitchen of Jan LeTourneau. The concept is that you prepare the soup for your family and then either come to Stations of the Cross at Noon on Good Friday or watch the live-stream.
CREAMY TOMATO ORZO SOUP
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 3-15 ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1-15 ounce can vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Dash of crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup cooked Orzo pasta
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the bay leaves.
- Add the tomatoes and vegetable broth. Stir in the brown sugar and fresh basil. Season with red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper, to taste. Simmer on low for 15 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves from the pot. Use an immersion blender to blend the soup (or blend the soup in a standing blender and return to the pot). Stir in the Greek yogurt until well combined. Stir in the orzo pasta. Serve warm.
Makes 6 servings.
Our family says the standard Bless us O Lord, and a Hail Mary. We added the Hail Mary about three years ago when Jan’s brother was diagnosed with terminal cancer. We continue to pray for him and all those who have died from or are battling cancer.
|Stations of the Cross:
Good Friday at Noon. Open to the public, preregistration is required. Please click HERE to register, or call Mari Torgerson at the parish office at 847-253-5353 to reserve your spot.If you can’t attend in-person, catch the video live stream on OLW’s Facebook or YouTube pages.
Tags: #lent, #lent2021, #lent21, #olw, #olwparish, #soupandstations, #stationsofthecross