Soup & Stations: Vegetarian Lentil Soup
Our soup recipe this week comes from the kitchen of Betty Wren. The concept is that you can prepare the soup for your family and then either come to Stations of the Cross at 7:00 pm or watch the video live stream.
VEGETARIAN LENTIL SOUP
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 26-ounce carton vegetable cooking stock
- 3 cups water
- ¾ cup dry white wine
- 1 10-ounce package shredded carrots
- 2 stalks celery, sliced thin
- ½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 ½ cups dried lentils, picked over and rinsed
(You can use standard brown, French green, orange, petite golden or black beluga lentils.)
Garnish: 1 cup shredded parmesan or cheddar cheese
- Set a large pot over medium heat. Add olive oil. Once oil is heated, add onions and sauté until translucent. Add garlic, marjoram, thyme, sea salt, and black pepper; sauté briefly. Add crushed tomatoes, vegetable stock, water and wine; stir to incorporate. Stir in carrots, celery and fresh parsley. Slowly add lentils, stirring throughout.
- Bring soup to a simmer; reduce heat slightly. Cover pot and continue to simmer for about one hour, stirring occasionally. (Note: If using black beluga lentils, increase simmer time to 1 ½ hours.) When cooking is complete, re-season with additional salt and pepper, if desired.
- Serve soup with a sprinkle of shredded parmesan or cheddar cheese.
Bless this soup prepared with a dash of love. As it fills our bowls, may it nourish both our hearts and souls.
|Stations of the Cross (live-streamed)
Friday March 26 at 7:00 pm.
Open to the public, preregistration is required. Please click HERE to register, or call Mari Torgerson at the parish office at 847-253-5353 to reserve your spot.
Tags: #lent, #lent2021, #lent21, #olw, #olwparish, #soupandstations, #stationsofthecross