Soup & Stations: Easy Cream of Broccoli-Cheese Soup
Posted on March 9, 2021
Soup and Stations During a Pandemic
Our soup recipe this week comes from the kitchen of Ann Marie Tarczon. The concept is that you can prepare the soup for your family and then either come to Stations of the Cross at 7:00 pm or watch the video live stream.
EASY CREAM OF BROCCOLI-CHEESE SOUP
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 4 heads broccoli, stems removed and discarded, and florets cut into bite-size pieces
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 12 ounces mild cheddar cheese, shredded (about 3 cups)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until they begin to soften.
- Sprinkle the flour over the onions and stir to combine, cooking for about 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in the milk and half-and-half.
- Add the nutmeg, broccoli, a dash of salt, and lots of freshly ground black pepper.
- Cover and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the broccoli is tender.
- Add the cheese a handful at a time, stirring to melt the cheese after each addition.
- At this point, I did a quick pass with my immersion blender on low to blend up the broccoli a bit, but still leave a good amount of texture. You could also choose to mash it with a potato masher to break up the broccoli a bit, or transfer to a blender in two batches and puree completely.
- Finally, whisk in the vegetable broth, and re-warm over low heat if needed, and serve.
Stations of the Cross
Friday March 12, 19, and 26 at 7:00 pm.
Open to the public, preregistration is required. Please click HERE to register, or call Mari Torgerson at the parish office at 847-253-5353 to reserve your spot.
If you can’t attend in-person, catch the video live stream on OLW’s Facebook or YouTube pages.
Comments are closed here.