Soup & Stations: Cheese & Potato Soup
Our soup recipe this week comes from the kitchen of Mary McBride. The concept is that you can prepare the soup for your family and then either come to Stations of the Cross at 7:00 pm or watch the video live stream.
Cheese and Potato Soup
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 1 ½ cups chopped onion
- 1 cup carrots, sliced
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- ¼ cup butter or margarine
- 6 cups vegetable bouillon
- 2 cups milk
- ½ cup flour
- 3 cups (12oz) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- ½ cup of beer (cook drinks the rest of the bottle)
- Combine potatoes, onions, carrots, celery, butter and bouillon in large pot. Heat to boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Combine milk, flour, beating until smooth
- Gradually blend milk and flour into simmering soup
- Add cheese, mustard and cook, stirring until cheese melts.
- Stir in beer, heat thoroughly
Soup can be frozen; Serves 8
Note: you can add a tsp or more of black pepper to balance the saltiness of some cheddar cheese. You can reduce the total amount of cheese (leave out a cup or so) to reduce calories. It makes the soup a little thinner but still very tasty.
Stations of the Cross
Friday March 5, 12, 19, and 26 at 7:00 pm.
Open to the public, preregistration is required. Please click HERE to register, or call Mari Torgerson at the parish office at 847-253-5353 to reserve your spot.
Tags: #lent, #lent2021, #lent21, #olw, #olwparish, #soupandstations, #stations