The Religious Education Program for 7th and 8th graders consists of a two-year preparation for the Sacrament of Confirmation.
Please complete the registration/volunteer form to register for the Confirmation Program. (NOTE: This is the same registration form as for Grades 1-6 religious education since Confirmation is part of the OLW Religious Education program.) Click here for the Registration/Volunteer Form
First Year Preparation Overview
7th grade (first year preparation) is spent in a thorough review of the Seven Sacraments with special emphasis on the Sacraments of Christian Initiation. The text used is We Live Our Faith As Disciples of Jesus, Sadlier – We Believe Series. Click here for the First Year Program Overview Letter
First Year Preparation Requirements for Confirmation:
- Class reception of the Sacrament of Reconciliation within a Prayer Service
- Class Retreat
- Four Group Service Projects
- One service project, designed by each student individually
- Completion of six Homily Evaluations, three due the first semester and three due the second semester
Second Year Preparation Overview
During the 8th grade (second year preparation), there is intensive preparation for the Sacrament of Confirmation with emphasis on the commitment to the Catholic faith that it requires and the living out of the Gospel message. An important part of preparing for Confirmation is the choice of a Sponsor and the choice of a name. Students are helped to understand the role of the Holy Spirit in their lives. The students gain a deeper appreciation for the Sacraments of Initiation, the last of these being Confirmation. The remainder of the Religious Education classes after Confirmation are focused on moral issues that confront young people today. Confirmed 8th graders are encouraged to continue and strengthen their connection to the Church and Parish through the Youth Ministry Program. Click here for the Second Year Program Overview Letter
Second Year Preparation Requirements for Confirmation:
- Reception of the Sacrament of Reconciliation
- Attendance at an evening Light Prayer Service for Candidates, Parents and Sponsors
- Full-day Confirmation Retreat
- Individual Service Projects chosen by students (20 hours of service divided among Parish, Family, Community and School)
Confirmation will take place on March 9, 2019. Bishop Alberto Rojas will be the celebrant.
- Monday, February 25 – Practice for Confirmation 10:00 Mass, (K-Z). Confirmandi only. 6:30-8:00 p.m.
- Thursday, February 28 – Practice for Confirmation 2:00 Mass, (A-J). Confirmandi only. 6:30-8:00 p.m.
- Monday, March 4 – Practice for Confirmation 10:00 Mass, (K-Z). Confirmandi, Parents and Sponsors. 7:00-8:30 p.m.
- Thursday, March 7 – Practice for Confirmation 2:00 Mass, (A-J). Confirmandi, Parents and Sponsors. 7:00-8:30 p.m.
- Saturday, March 9 – Bishop Alberto Rojas. Confirmation Masses – 10:00 a.m. (K-Z), 2:00 p.m. (A-J)