Celebrate 70 Fun Fact: OLW Catholic Woman’s Club
Our Lady of the Wayside’s Catholic Women’s Club was organized on August 7, 1952, for the spiritual advancement of its members and to assist the Pastor in the material aspects of parish affairs. The diligent efforts of special committees and wholehearted cooperation of all the members were a major asset to the Father O’Hara in all fund-raising events for the parish, including activities for the benefit of the school and convent.
During the club year, regular monthly meetings were held, with programmed entertainment, the first of which took place in the Field House on October 2, 1952. The organizations committees have were enthusiastically active from the start, staging such events as semi-annual bake sales, raffles, book fairs, fashion shows and socials of various kinds.
Click HERE to page through the Catholic Woman’s Club Handbook from the charter year (1952-53).
- a list of officers
- a list of 17 committees
- the by-laws
- the names of the 190+(!!) members who participated in the inaugural year.
A Study Club was successfully functioning and grew to such an extent that it became three separate groups. Annual Retreats and Days of Recollection were well attended since their inauguration, and the growth of the Club from a charter membership of 190 to 356 clearly meant that it functioned with the blessing of Our Lady.
Tags: #catholicwomansclub, #Celebrate 70, #celebrate70!, #olw, #olwparish, #womansclub
Comments are closed here.