COVID-19 Pandemic Causes Surge In Poison Exposures by Julie Nakis, submitted by Kathy O’Neill RN, Parish Nurse

Posted on May 2, 2020 by Published by

With people more focused than ever before on sanitizing their homes in order to protect their families against COVID-19, experts are warning people to use caution when using cleaning products.

The Illinois Poison Center (IPC) has reported that exposures to cleaning products are up 30% compared to the same time last year. The IPC shared the following examples of exposures they are seeing as a result of COVID-19:

  • People using non-traditional chemicals to wash their hands (e.g. bleach, hydrogen peroxide, wipes, etc.) instead of regular hand soap resulting in rash/irritation and cracked skin.
  • People using chemicals (e.g. bleach, wipes, cleaning powders) to wash their groceries, including produce and are then concerned about toxicity upon ingestion;
  • Mixing cleaning chemicals together and inadvertently producing toxic gas; and
  • Pediatric exposures to cleaning products left open/unattended.

“The effects of poison ingestion range from an upset stomach to respiratory distress to death in severe cases,” explains Alix McNulty, an infection prevention specialist at Advocate Children’s Hospital. “If you know your child ingested a poison, call Poison Control right away. They will provide step-by-step instructions, based on the product the child consumed. If you suspect your child got into a cleaning product that they shouldn’t have but there’s no evidence, still immediately call Poison Control.”

McNulty say parents can protect their children and prevent accidental poisoning with the following precations:

  • Look at your house through the eyes of a child. Toddlers are often eye-level with cleaning products that are stored on the floor or in low cabinets easily opened. Examine each room in the house to see what items are within a child’s reach that they might find attractive.
  • Move dangerous products up high and out of sight. Keep toxic cleaners and medicine in a cabinet where a child cannot reach or see what’s inside.
  • Know Poison Control’s help number. Put the number to Poison Control (1-800-222-1222) in your mobile phone and display it on or near every landline. They are a valuable resource to parents and caregivers in case of an emergency.

Comments are closed here.