Masses in our Diocese have been suspended! What should I do?
For some, the loss of daily and especially Sunday Mass leaves a hole in our day and week! In this extraordinary time, what can I do to worship God and stay close to him?
Here are a few ideas!
- There are several places on TV and the internet where we can watch daily and Sunday Mass. Tune in and make a “spiritual communion” when you can not be physically present to receive the body and blood or our Lord.
- EWTN televises Mass Daily at 7am CT.
- The Archdiocese broadcasts and records Sunday Mass from Holy Name Cathedral here: https://radiotv.archchicago.org/television/broadcast-masses.
- The WGN-TV Channel 9 broadcasts the Sunday Mass at Mercy Home for Boys and Girls at 9:30 a.m. and can be watched online at: https://www.mercyhome.org/sunday-mass/
- Relevant Radio broadcasts daily mass at noon on their website: https://relevantradio.com
- Daily Mass from Bishop Barron’s Chapel: https://www.wordonfire.org/daily-mass/
- Read the daily and Sunday Mass readings. There are many places to find this, but the easiest is probably usccb.org. You can even listen or watch a reflection on the day’s readings.
- Pray the Liturgy of the Hours. The Liturgy of the Hours (LOH) is the daily prayer of the church. Most priests and religious are obligated to pray the LOH (or the Breviary) daily but the laity is encouraged to do so also! The LOH consists of hymns, the psalms, readings, intercessions and prayers. There are prayers for the morning, evening and night with optional prayers for daytime and a separate “Office of Readings”. The easiest way to get started with the LOH is to go to ibreviary.com on the internet or download the iBreviary app on your phone.
- Pray the Rosary. There are plenty of websites that can remind you of the prayers and, more importantly, the Mysteries that are meditated on for each decade. One of the more fruitful ways to pray the Rosary is to find a website or app that leads you through the “scriptural” Rosary (scripturalrosary.org for instance) – reading a little piece of scripture pertaining to the mystery you are praying helps to keep your attention on the mystery and more fully see the life of Jesus through his Mother’s eyes…
- Our Friday morning bible study is continuing during this time via videoconferencing! All are invited! Click here for details!
- Lastly, subscribe to a daily or weekly reflection from one of the great Catholic resources on the internet. Bishop Barron, Catholic Productions, Ascension Press, etc… there are many to choose from – pick one that seems to speak to you!
These current tribulations can be a very trying in our faith-life…. Or… it can be a fruitful time to open our hearts to our Lord in other ways we may not have explored before! God Bless you in your walk!
Brought to you by the OLW Adult Enrichment Committee.