Message from the Archdiocese of Chicago and Our Lady of the Wayside Parish
Based on current guidelines from local public health departments, which recommend the cancellation of public gatherings involving 250 or more people, Cardinal Blase J. Cupich, archbishop of Chicago, mandated the suspension until further notice of all liturgical services effective Saturday evening with the regularly scheduled weekend services. In addition, he has mandated the closing of schools operated by the archdiocese, and to close the Pastoral Center and related agency offices until further notice.
“This was not a decision I made lightly,” Cupich said in the statement. “The Eucharist is the source and summit of our life as Catholics. And our schools and agencies provide essential services to many thousands across Cook and Lake Counties. But, in consultation with leaders from across the archdiocese, for the sake of the safety of our students, parishioners, and all the women and men who serve the people of the archdiocese, it is clear that we must take the better part of caution in order to slow the spread of this pandemic.”
What this means at Our Lady of the Wayside Parish
- Stations of the Cross will occur tonight at 7:30pm, but no soup will be served
- Men’s Lenten Talk at 9:00am tomorrow will occur
- Confirmation Masses scheduled for Saturday are postponed, date to be determined.
- Mass is suspended this weekend; this includes 5pm Mass on Saturday March 14, 7:30am, 9:30am, 11:30am and 6pm Mass on Sunday, March 15
- Morning Communion Services at 7:00am weekdays, 8:30am Saturday and weekday Masses at 8:30am are suspended
- The Church will be open for private prayer at the following times, but please follow social distancing guidelines and remain six-feet apart from other worshippers
- Saturday March 14 from 4-6pm
- Sunday March 15 from 7am-12noon
- Weekdays March 16-20 from 7am – 3pm
- The Parish Office will be open from 9am to 5pm during the week.
- Televised and online Masses allow you to remain connected in some way to the Mass.
- EWTN televises Mass Daily at 7am CT.
- The Archdiocese broadcasts and records Sunday Mass from Holy Name Cathedral here: https://radiotv.archchicago.org/television/broadcast-masses.
- The WGN-TV Channel 9 broadcasts the Sunday Mass at Mercy Home for Boys and Girls at 9:30 a.m.
- Relavant Radio broadcasts daily mass at noon on their website: https://relavantradio.com
- St James Parish is posting weekday and Sunday Mass at 10:30am on their website: https://www.stjamesah.org
- OLW School is closed starting Monday March 16 until further notice; teachers and students will move to e-learning during the school closure.
- REP Classes are suspended until further notice.
- Weddings and Funerals will be celebrated as scheduled at this time until further notice.
- Baptisms which are normally celebrated communally on the first and third Sundays will be suspended temporarily until a protocol can be worked out.
- Generally, if small gatherings or meetings are to take place, please follow social distancing guidelines and remain six-feet apart from others.
- Our maintenance staff will continue to ensure that public areas on our campus are thoroughly cleaned.
Message from Fr. Artur:
I will be praying for all our parishioners during this time, especially the homebound and the sick. I will pray for the continued physical and spiritual well-being of our students. I ask that you pray for me as well.
Patience is Requested
This is the information that we have right now. Please be patient if information changes quickly or we are not able to get the most updated information to you right away. Please know that we are doing our best to keep you updated on how the parish is handling this situation.
We understand that this is a major change in our operations and our ability to serve you.