A Message From the Archdiocese Regarding Steps to Be Taken in Reaction of the COVID-19 Virus
A MESSAGE FROM THE ARCHDIOCESE OF CHICAGO
We continue to monitor with concern the questions that are arising about the spread of Coronacirus/COVID-19. As a matter of prudence, the following guidelines, based on guidance from the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops Committee on Divine Worship, are to be implemented in all parishes within the Archdiocese of Chicago effective immediately.
- Refrain from physical contact during the Sign of Peace
- Refrain from distribution of the Precious Blood via the chalice during Holy Communion.
- Given the frequency of direct contact with saliva in the distribution of Holy Communion on the tongue, individuals should receive Holy Communion reverently in open hands for the time being.
- Refrain from holding hands during the Lord’s Prayer.
- Refrain from using Holy Water fonts.
All Priests, Deacons, Altar Servers and Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion will continue to wash their hands before Mass begins and use an alcohol based anti-bacterial solution before and after distributing Holy Communion.
If you are sick or experiencing symptoms of sickness, you are not obliged to attend Mass, and out of charity ought not to attend. Catechism 2181 allows for serious reasons like illness.
These cautions will remain in effect until such time as prudence dictates that our normal practices be resumed.
Father Artur Marat
Administrator, Our Lady of the Wayside