The OLW Family and School Association (known as the FSA) consists of all school parents, guardians, teachers, administrators and our pastor, acting collectively on behalf of Our Lady of the Wayside School and our children. Active participation and cooperation has been a vital part of the effectiveness of our Family and School Association and has been the foundation of a caring school community.
Our Lady of the Wayside Family and School Association has several purposes. Its primary purpose is to promote communication among parents, guardians, teachers and administrators, with focus on the educational and spiritual development of our children. Additionally, it is to promote good will and cooperation among parents, faculty, administration, school board and parish; and to direct and coordinate parental support for special activities, programs, social events and fundraising.
The by-laws of our OLW Family and School Association are found on the OLW School website.
Through the volunteer efforts, the Family and School Association offers numerous services under the following Family and School Board Committees:
Communication/Publicity – Coordinates all communication between the FSA, school families, parish and community. This includes the Handbook/Directory, School Calendar, School Sign, Photographer, School Mailings, and acts as the FSA liaison to the school website webmaster.
- Fundraising – Oversees all profit generating events that fund the FSA school gifts. Attends event meetings as needed, serving as a resource and liaison with the FSA board. This includes, but not limited to, the Progressive Party, Craft Fair, Trivia Night, Supper Clubs and Auction.
- Hospitality – Arranges refreshments for various school functions throughout the year, coordinates and oversees all captains, and maintains inventory for all functions. Confirms availability of area needed and arranges physical set up with the Parish Business Manager. This includes the Kick-Off Coffee, Winter Open House, Confirmation Reception, Volunteer Thank You Coffee, Faculty Thank You Luncheons and Dinners, Graduation Farewell Dinner, Graduation Reception, Bakers, Pre-school and Kindergarten Hospitality, and Kindergarten Graduation Reception.
- In-School Services – Supervises and coordinates all activities performed in the school to support the students and staff. This includes the School Store, Copy Service, Milk Program, Picture Day, Student Fundraiser, and Registration.
- Student Enrichment – Oversees student enrichment programs/assemblies and financially assists class-sponsored field trips. This includes the Library/Media Center, Book Processing, Cultural Arts, Cotillion, Reading/Writing Programs, and Book Fair.
- Membership Services – Oversees school and volunteer related records and social activities offered to member families. This includes the Volunteer List, Welcome Wagon, Ice Cream Social, Uniform Exchange, and Family Sock Hop.
- Room Parents – Receives student class list in August and contacts volunteers to fill positions, prepares packets for room parents, and oversees the Room Parents and Special Project Coordinators for every class. This includes Room Parents, monthly Pizza Days, Special Classroom Projects for the Auction and Student Appreciation Lunch.
- School Gifts – Provides research and procurement of items designated for purchase by the FSA Board and works throughout the year in conjunction with the Principal and the Parish Business Manager to secure pricing and installation.